30 September 2009

Best. Art. Ever.

Ok folks. Art has reached its apotheosis. All you painters, sculptors, musicians and poets, nice try. Thanks for playing. Go do something useful, because ya done got served!

First there was Arnold "We Are Here to Pump You Up (In Your Spirit Muscles)!" Friberg.

Then the gentler, more photorealistic Del "Ja, den där er Jesus!" Parson.

And we can't forget Thomas "Paint the Light!" Kincade.

But now a new luminary graces us with his art. An art to end all art. Jon "It's a McNaughton!" McNaughton.

BEHOLD!



I know, you're stunned. But there's more. Just in case you're like me, and The Full Meaning of this marvelous, "symbol*"-laden Depiction of Pure Truth (ya heard?) overcomes your aesthetic and congnitive capacities, the Artist has provided (via the magic of the interwebs) an explanatory apparatus here. Trail your mouse pointer over the various Symbols to see their explanations rendered in Truth No Less Powerful for Its Clarity.

And if those explanations aren't enough, you can always join me in taking one of Brother McNaughton's workshops. Know this, though:
One last word—I will endeavor to teach you everything I know except for one thing—"The Grand Master Secret." This is the most important principle I can teach, but I am cautious to whom I reveal it. I have had only a handful of students who have solved the code in the back of the wordbook. I truly believe it is the key to knowledge.
I'm totally going to figure out that code. (I wonder if Brother McNaughton's Grand Master Secret is anything like this guy's.)

Post your favorite parts in the comments section, that we all may be edified. (Note: be sure to check out the titles of books and the court cases littering the steps. And don't forget to look in the sky.)

UPDATE: A friend sent me this alternative interpretation. Once again, let your mouse do the walking.

UPDATE 2: Another friend sent me this parody, which is only slightly less frightening than the original. Witness: "One Nation under Chthulu."

___________
*Warning: Symbols not actually symbols, but literal depictions. From the OED: symbol (n.), 2. a. Something that stands for, represents, or denotes something else (not by exact resemblance, but by vague suggestion, or by some accidental or conventional relation); esp. a material object representing or taken to represent something immaterial or abstract, as a being, idea, quality, or condition; a representative or typical figure, sign, or token. (Emphasis mine.)

Credits: Hat tip to Old Sport for bringing this wonder to my attention in the first place, and to Swearing Elder for directing me to the workshops.

16 comments:

Ben Matz said...

That was rich.

Bret R. Fund said...

Wow RD...where do you find this stuff :-) My favorite is the professor (for obvious reasons) and the Hollywood guy. I love knowing the the "liberal left" has control over the educational system. I am not sure how this jives with my supposed academic freedom in the classroom, but as long as I know who I am serving :-) As for Mr. Hollywood, I was expecting more of a Tom Cruise type. Total let down if you ask me.

So I assume you have already bought a number of prints for Christmas gifts. Am I right?

Joel said...

He's right, of course. Hard working teachers like me are salt of the earth people fit to chill with Reagan, Davy Crockett, JFK, and immigrants who are shocked to see Jesus, whereas evil liberal professors like you want to be have to chill with Satan, supreme court justices, and, inexplicably, pregnant women.

Hope you enjoy burning, chief. I'm off to kick it with Sequoyah and an F-16 pilot.

Man Child said...

Movies bad, war good.

I like that Satan looks like a Nazgul. He's clearly looking for the one ring.

I like the Politician quote. Especially the last line. "I believe that the only way things are going to CHANGE is if the American people rise up and demand it."

Zimm said...

Ronald Reagan stands uncomfortably, because of his Hollywood past.

richard dandelion said...

Either that, Zimm, or something's actually trickling down.


His leg.



HIYO!!

richard dandelion said...

I didn't notice before, but it also appears that one of the phenomena associated with the Second Coming is a low-lying cloud of mustard gas.

Zimm said...

McNaughton just really sucks at painting feet.

Grady Tripp said...

Grotesque...

Shouldn't Ben Franklin be with the liberal news woman and the pregnant girl?

Certainly designed for the Mac Mansion type abodes in Provo.

Grady Tripp said...

...and just wondering.

Where are the soldiers with their legs blown off and their bodies burned beyond recognition depicted?

Who represents the 600,000 dead Iraqi civilians?

I mean, how can you show JC without the white and delightsome wars that the 801 area code is so fond of? I mean, for HELL's sake! if we are going to have SYMBOLS let's have SYMBOLS!. What a tool this guy must be.

Imagine.... John Lennon

richard dandelion said...

Grady, at the risk of pushing you over the edge: the grotesquery only gets worse.

Behold the truly pornographic.

annie said...

first, i bow to master mclaughlin. and then i throw up a little in my mouth.

annie said...

and by mclaughlin i meant mcnaughton. guess i just secured my place in hell now i can't remember his name...

Maudie Jane said...

Now I know what you want on your poncho. It might take some time to knit that masterpiece, but it will be worth it. You will out Jesus everyone in that thing.

richard dandelion said...

So great, MJ.

Yes. In a custom-made Maudie Jane poncho I would definitely out-hay-SEUSS everyone.

Poncho pwn!

Man Child said...

lol, poncho pwn, classic.