I love typefaces. Love them. I adore a well-set text, and only struggle through those less carefully laid out. Jan Tschichold is my hero; Robert Slimbach, Carol Twombly, and Sumner Stone are as gods among men. I go by Manutius (after Aldus) in some online communities, and find a fine ligature one of the more stunning of humanity's artistic accomplishments.
There are faces I can't get enough of. Bembo. Gill Sans. Minion. Adobe Caslon. ITC Stone Sans. Galliard.
And there are faces... well, let's just say that if I never saw them again, it would be too soon. Not all of them are even bad. But enough is enough. Arial. Papyrus. 90% of the fonts shipped as standards with Microsoft and Mac operating systems.
Especially, though, especially Times New Roman. I hate TNR. Detest it. And I have to look at it all day long.
So imagine how I feel when I take the fun little "Which font are you?" quiz on the Independent Lens website, and this is the result.

Sigh.



15 comments:
: (
So sorry! Is it okay that I laughed?
I'm Helvitica."You're like an industry standard. Classic. Reliable. Okay, maybe a bit boring but don't let the haters get you down--after all you're still got plenty of friends who think you're the best."
I can live with that. However, I do prefer Galliard.
Okay, so I took it too. Most of the questions didn't really have satisfactory options so I had to choose based on intent. Anyway, this is what I got.
You are IMPACT
You're the preferred font of LOLCats everywhere.
A little dark. A little narrow. That's because you spend too much time in front of your computer. If it'5 not 0nl1ne, i7 do03n't 3xist ph0r u.
Roast. I was also TNR. I've always liked Georgia though.
I'm Helvetica too. Boring, I guess.
so you're a serif man, eh, RD (TNR)? i wouldn'ta guessed.
all right, i will take your little quiz. after ally stops tying on my keyboard and goes to bed.
I laughed too! I'm Helvitica too but would rather be Marker Felt or SU Casual. It's a levis and t-shirt thing.
times new roman too. hm.
Well, at least I'm in good company. :-)
I didn't take any quiz but I have my own printing published into a font with a compasny based out of someplace in Sweden. So I guess I'm "Simply Coy"....that's the name of my font a.k.a (typecast if you will.... I wrote my children's book with it).
love you JT
MK: Laugh away. (Why change now?) :-D
BM: Sorry the quiz didn't meet your standards.
Zimm: You're more the timeless TNR. I'm the snob.
shoeless: Don't focus on how boring you are. Focus on how ubiquitous your boringness is!
SC: I am a serif man, and I won't deny it. Most days I like to dangle nonfunctional adornments from my extremities and pointy bits.
Natalie: What is it like to be felt by markers?
CS: Way to be, Coy. Love you, too. (PS--I go by RD round these parts.) :-)
TNR, how can it be? Hey, me too. What is the world coming to these days?
Oh, and I'm so glad you are back. No pressure, I will take what I can get, but welcome back man, we love you.
Helvetica. I'll accept boring because, yeah, it's just the truth. But like Ben Matz said, I had to make some choices based on intent so I wonder, had I been able to fill in the blanks rather than choose from multiple options, what I would have been? Is there anything more boring than boring? But I'd rather be Helvetica than Times New Roman. Ha!
I, too, am glad you're posting again.
Helvetica--boring, classic, reliable (although becoming less so--reliable, that is). But sometimes I do let the haters get me down.
You and I are probably not the only people who've seen that movie. But we are surely among an elite few who really really totally liked it. And no doubt an even eliter fewer who have tried to tell others that a WHOLE movie about a FONT is -- no, really -- AWESOME!!!
Post a Comment