Since I posted my reaction to Prop 8's passing in California, I've been the recipient of a number of caring phone calls, letters, lunches, and (vicariously) midnight resistance meetings. Thank you, all (you know who you are). I'm leaving comments disabled on this post, too, for the same reasons as on the last one: they're what I have to say. If you feel similarly or differently, you have your own blogs!
Though I still get angry, sad, and frustrated about this issue, I've learned a couple of things:
1) I'm by no means alone, even among LDS (Mormon) communities, in feeling the way I do. My anger, sadness, frustration and sense of urgency on this matter is shared by far many more than I would have guessed a few weeks ago.
2) This issue matters, and it isn't going away, and if history is at all relevant, eventually the people, then the government (and finally even the Church) will come around. My daughter evinces this already. As wiser minds have pointed out: there's almost nothing that the LDS church isn't willing to change its position on, given enough time and enough grassroots social pressure.
3) My wife and I have decided (her idea, actually) that in order to remain members of the church and maintain some semblance of integrity we will need to be open and honest about our feelings on this issue; therefore we're meeting with our bishop to let him know how we feel. (This in keeping with MLK, Jr's 4-fold Guide to Nonviolent Protest, step 4: direct action. I'm still working on step 3.)
Thank you; that is all.


