How important is the historicity of the Book of Mormon to you?
I'm not asking whether you believe the Book of Mormon to be a true historical record about people who really existed. I'm not asking to what degree you ascribe to various geographical or archaeological apologetics (unless such questions are important to your answer to my first question).
I'm just wondering how important it is to you in your daily life whether, say, Nephi really existed and he chopped off Laban's head, etc...
Without defining where I stand on what I believe about the book's historicity, I think that the question doesn't impact me much at all on a basic testimony level.
That is, I think that I interact with the Book of Mormon (and the rest of the canon) in ways that don't raise the question of historicity. That is, I'm able to know the Savior through these texts whether or not Nephi was a real person or Job really lost his family in a wager between God and Satan.
Their value to me--and my testimony of the things they teach--transcends their provenance. That is, I don't think that I would leave the Church or lose my faith in Christ if I found out they weren't strictly historical.
Which leads to another question: In what must I have faith to be exalted? Must I ascribe to everything that the Prophet Joseph said, or believe everything that the current Fifteen have stated? Is faith in Christ alone enough? Or is my faith in him insufficient if it does not also entail absolute belief in the Church and its current leaders?
19 July 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment